Sunday, October 18, 2015

Why are there so many Birds?


Sister Cooper and Sister Andrus


"I hit a Bulls-eye!

July 27, 2015
Dear Framily,

So the title of this email is what just came out of my companions mouth when I asked her what I should title this week as. It's not that fitting, oh wait...I just remembered that we contacted someone last Monday night and she went and got her pet cock-a-doodle-doo (cockatoo). And we held it on out arms! Best contact of my whole life...it was so weird!
But we are going to rewind this to Sunday night during comp inventory. So I don't know if you could tell by me email last week, but it was a really hard week and we got lots of rejection and just it was crummy.
So Sunday night we talked it out and I realized something that really scared me. I realized that I was just going through the motions of missionary work and I was doing things out of my duty to God. It want making me happy and in fact I felt numb and lifeless. So I decided that I couldn't live like that and I pledged to God and my companion that I was going to give my whole heart and do everything out of my heart. I wanted greater love and I wanted to love the people in my area. The result of this realization changed this week for the better. It has been an amazing week. We still got a TON of rejection and a TON of juked appointments, but at the end of the day I didn't want to go to sleep or drive back to the apartment. I wanted to keep working. Man I sound like a crazy person, but it was seriously amazing!

So Monday night started this pledge of heart. I probably said the word love about 5 times in every prayer that night haha. But we got out and drove to West Orange. We got out of the car and then we saw this guy in his car so we went up and talked to him through the door. It turned out to be an awesome contact and he had been looking for some direction in his life. We taught him about the Book of Mormon and gave him one. We also told him that he has to talk to the Elders that cover his area! It was a great start! Then after a couple more contacts we contacted the bird lady that I mentioned earlier!

Tuesday every single set appointment either canceled last minute or juked us. I swear Satan was working sooooo hard on us to get us down and back out of our pledge with God. But we pushed through it! We ended up going to Berkeley heights which is a part in our area that hadn't been worked much. We knocked (ps I am not a fan of knocking) the whole street and I was having a blast and almost every door we knocked opened. And it was even a weekday afternoon! The coolest contact was a woman named Desiree! She opened the door and just got this big smile on her face! She said immediately that she had found Christ just barely! So she opened up and told us her life changing story it was so cool! Then we told her that we are here to help her draw closer to him even more and find purpose. She said that we could come over any Tuesday of Friday :) it was soooo fantastic!

Wednesday we had zone conference and it was the best zone conference yet! So we talked a lot about how God’s vision for us is to be truly converted and to stay truly converted to the Lord. President Taggart was really bold and powerful! He said that if we are just casual in our study, prayer, service, etc we will not be prepared to meet our God and the world will take control over us! He talked a lot about how we can't take steps of faith...we need to take leaps and trust in God. Then the assistants laid out some goals as to how we can be converted. It takes diligent study, fervent spirit guided prayer, dedicated heart felt service, and true obedience. Christ didn't end sacrifice all together, he told us that the sacrifice has to be ourselves and our will. We have to give our ALL! It is so exciting!

So Friday night we met with Don and we had Brother and Sister Clark come with us! Last time we committed Don to read the restoration pamphlet and he did it! So when we followed up the thing that stuck in his head was about Joseph smith receiving the priesthood! He is seriously to coolest investigator! He had so many good questions and by the end he understood the power of priesthood and its importance in Christ's church! The Clarks were a HUGE asset to the lesson and they totally connected with Don! Don even said that he was going to come to church! Which was HUGE because he has had some really bad experiences with church in the past! We were soooo happy after that lesson!

Sunday at church I was sitting right by the door so that when Don came in I was there...5 minutes after 9 my heart was pounding and I kept looking at sister Andrus with panic eyes. He never showed up. It was a big heart break, but it is okay because I know that he will come soon! We just gotta prep him better! At sacrament we learned about baptism and the sacrament and the Holy Ghost. It was awesome! It was Bethany's farewell for her mission too and she had a lot of her friends there so that was great! That night we had a fireside in Princeton and the air conditioner was out so it was blazing hot and we just sand our hearts out anyway! It was awesome and the spirit was there! It was all about being a child of God! They had some recent converts bare their testimonies for the first time and it was sooo beautiful! The heat was blazing and so was the spirit!

Well that is a wrap for this week! I love you all and I miss you like crazy! I never want my mission to end. Sending 3 companions home makes it real that my time is really short. I love the Lord and I am grateful that he knows what each of the people I work with are going through and that he helps them! I throw my love your way!

Mostest,
Sister Cooper the Jersey Girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment